Creamy Macaroni & Cheese
- 1⁄2cup butter or 1margarine
- 1⁄2cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4teaspoon garlic granules
- 2cups half-and-half
- 2cups milk
- 2(10 ounce) packages sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1(10 ounce) package extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1(16 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
Preheat oven 350°F
In a big skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Whisk the flour in gradually until the mixture is smooth. Cook and whisk continually for 2 minutes.
Add in salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic; stir to combine. Gradually whisk in half-and-half and milk. Cook and whisk continually for 8-10 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
Add in half of the sharp cheddar cheese; stir. Add in all of the extra-sharp cheddar cheese; stir until smooth. Take skillet off stove burner.
Mix the cooked macaroni and cheese mixture; transfer to a greased 13×9 inch casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining sharp cheddar cheese.
Bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes (may need to bake longer for a crispy top).